Comparison of Ereaders
Most popular Ereader brands
- Designed and marketed by Amazon it is the most popular ebook brand on the market. The main advantage of owning a Kindle is having access to the Amazon bookstore. It has the best selection of ebooks to choose from (>7 million ebooks available) and usually at the best prices. Kindle devices have a wide selection of devices from the basic model Kindle to the premium model Kindle Oasis.
- *Check out their selection here
Barnes & Nobles Nook:
- Developed by the popular U.S. book retailer Barnes and Noble. It is powered by Android operating software giving it an easy to use interface and also an open-source format. The Barnes and Noble bookstore has most of the popular titles and matches its physical store which is the largest book retailer in the U.S. Therefore, the selection is arguably as good or better than Kobo’s bookstore. However, the main benefit over its competitors is that it is the best value relative to its features of the big three brands.
- *Check out their website here or check out the latest device here
- The Kobo device is also very popular and is the main competitor to Kindle. Its main advantage is having an open-format ebook eco-system. Meaning that books from most sources can easily be read on a Kobo device. In some countries, you can even borrow books from your local library by downloading them straight to your ereader. In contrast, converting files to the Kindle format is slightly more complicated as they have their own proprietary ebook eco-system. Nonetheless, the Kobo bookstore itself is more than sufficient for most readers (>5 million ebooks available).
- *Check out their website here or begin shopping for one of their devices here
|Formats supported:||AZW, AZW3, PDF, TXT, MOBI, PRC||EPUB, PDF, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP||EPUB, EPUB3, MOBI, PDF, TXT, HTML, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, TIFF, RTF, CBZ, CBR|
Check out our latest comparison of ereaders: